Amazon has acquired Marshall Cavendish’s 450 children’s book titles to compete with Barnes & Noble’s Nook Kids collection. The introduction of the Kindle Fire allows Amazon to compete effectively in this market, where they were unable to do so with the older black-and-white Kindles with limited graphics capability.
Microsoft has filed suit against Barnes & Noble, Foxconn International Holdings, and Inventec Corp., claiming infringement of the following:
- The use of tabs for navigation in a control window
- Showing download status superimposed on a page
- The ability to select text
- The ability to annotate text text without changing the underlying document.
- The display of page content before the background is displayed
Where does the patent office find the people who approve patents for these things? This is utterly ridiculous! Not only should Microsoft be ashamed of themselves for patenting things like this, U.S. citizens as a whole should be appalled that we’ve allowed things to reach this preposterous level.